I was tagged for this meme by Mama Mara. The rules are stated below:
1. Link the person who tagged you.
2. Mention the rules on your blog.
3. Tell about 6 unspectacular quirks you possess.
4. Tag 6 following bloggers by linking them.
5. Leave a comment on each of the tagged blogger’s blogs letting them know they’ve been tagged.
My six quirks:
1. I cannot use a sheet of notebook paper if it has been torn. I have to throw it out in the recycle bin. Also when I remove a sheet from a notebook I have to stand over paperbag for recycling and use a scissor to cut it evenly to remove those ridges. I am happy to report that my 13 year old son on the spectrum does the same thing. We are neat with our papers.
2. I take this a bit further with paper towels and will not use one if I tear it unevenly. I use paper towels to blow my nose, so when the paper towel is torn I will wipe down the sink or stove before tossing it so it got used.
3. I have this fascination with candles. At family dinners and holidays I would sit there and fling my finger back and forth through the candle. I think the last time I did this was when living in NJ and I was showing my nine year old cousin. His mother did not think it was something I should be showing her child. Since it is just me and my two sons on the autism spectrum, ages 12 and 13 there have not been any dinners with candles, so this quirk of mine stays with me.
4. I never have a utensil out when the toaster is plugged in. I had a fascination with this as a child and avoid temptation for me or either of my kids by never having them on the counter at the same time.
5. I must have all hangers facing the same way. This includes the clothing as well. Recently when watching one of the home selling shows on HGTV they told the lady to do this since her closet had a variety of hangers and they were all in different directions. So this is another efficient and neat quirk to have.
6. I always have to have the emergency brake on. This is just in case the car rolls down the hill on the street. I think this does damage to my brakes so I am weaning myself off of this quirk. I even wrote an article awhile ago called Keeping Compulsions in Check, which mentions some of these as well.
Next I need to tag six people to follow suit and post about their quirks.
Life With Autism