Friday, October 10, 2008

Articles and Reviews pertaining to Sensory Processing Disorder



In honor of Sensory Processing Disorder month I am listing all the articles and reviews I have done on this issue. My now 12 year old nonverbal son Matthew has never officially been diagnosed with Sensory Processing Disorder, but it is apparent to all who know and work with him that there are serious sensory issues going on with him.

I recently viewed this Sensory Integration Strategies DVD that runs for under thirty minutes. This was a good refresher for those who have been dealing with Sensory Processing Disorder or Sensory Integration Therapy, plus a nice starter on the senses and nervous system. I even shared this morning while waiting for the bus with the aide some of the tips mentioned for the classroom. I specifically suggested having my son move the chairs around in the morning and afternoon and giving him jobs in the classroom. I believe the Horticulture and PE classes are giving him sensory input already.

Another DVD that gives people insights is Through the eyes of Autism. The viewer will feel their senses heightened while sitting through this quick clip. It really puts things in perspective for parents, siblings and professionals learning about autism. Calm Baby Video is very soothing and pleasing to the senses. A good contrast to the other movie to relax, unwind and take a nap.

OT for children with autism is a wonderful DVD that shows firsthand what occurs during Occupational Therapy. There are several children receiving services for different issues that are explained and discussed. This is good for any newly diagnosed family contemplating OT and wanting to know more about it.

Earlier in the year I took part in an ICDL conference from Dr. Stanley Greenspan with the post conference with Rosemary White. I wrote out my notes and other information with resources in an article entitled Sensory Disorders. The items we have had in our house to assist with Sensory Issues include the Intex Jumpolene, Animal Alley Arby Dog and the Quiet Quilt.

My household has experienced firsthand and for the most part learned to deal with a screaming child inside a store,Daily Activities,Self Regulation and the Summertime Blues. The parent training I attended for Floor Time Basics was very beneficial.

There is a social network to discuss and meet other families living with Autism and Sensory Disorders, plus another useful group Model Me Kids to share experiences. Sometimes I will reflect back to 2000 when I wrote about Sensory Integration Dysfunction and recall what my children were like at that time. It is a great reminder of the earlier years with fond memories to note.

I have more DVDs and books in my library at home that are specifically on Sensory Processing Disorders. Sign up for my newsletter at BellaOnline to be informed of new articles.

Improving Speech and Eating Skills in Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders. This book teaches you how to implement an Oral-Motor program for home and school.

Sensory Rich Activities is an ebook from Lil Angel Gifts that gives an overview with recipes and tips.

Sensory Nanny Radio Show

Kia at Good Enough Mama is giving away five copies of Meghan's World, which is a book on SPD. This ends on October 30th with the winner announced on Halloween

25 comments:

hellokittiemama said...

Wow, lots of resources here for Sensory "stuff". You are always such a wealth of information. Alex has so many sensory issues that it is has made me so aware of everything going on around me all the time, always anticipating what is going to come next that will 'set him off'. Its made me feel like I am the one with sensory issues, which I am sure I do.

Patty O. said...

This is great. I can't believe all the resources you have here. I am planning on working my way through them. Would you mind if I put a link to your blog on my blog? I think people should see these resources!

Anonymous said...

The SPD DVD sounds very helpful. Thanks also for your tip about BellaOnline. I'll have to check it out.

Elizabeth Channel said...

My, what a great list of resources! You are always such a wealth of information! I need to check out all these resources, too.

Thanks much!

danette said...

What a great list of resources! I need to check these out.

I tagged you for an award, stop by my blog to check it out :)

http://3runningincircles.blogspot.com/2008/10/award-time.html

AutMom said...

What a great post! I'm going to come back and do some more reading when I can check out the links.

Casdok said...

Its amazing what is out there these days. :)

Blogger said...

I have a son on the spectrum, so I know all about this stuff. He is 13 now and in the 8th grade.

I found you via EntreCard :)

Bella

hellokittiemama said...

Just wanted to leave a quick comment to let you know I tagged you for an award. I wasn't sure if you had gotten this one already but you certainly deserve it! Details are in my blog!

Marla said...

I find SPD a very fascinating subject. Thank you for sharing these.

Betsy Brock said...

You've got some good resources here...I need to learn more about the sensory processing disorder. I bet one if not all of my triplets have this!

And...69 days until Christmas? OH my....

CC said...

Great info!!!

Thanks for your comment on 5 Min for Special Needs. I have a set of posts I've written on my blog under "Wordless Wednesday" about AAC, but haven't written in that area for a while. I'll try to do more of that in future posts.

BTW- I love the Go talk and use 3 of them in my 2 special classes. Did you know they are coming out with a smaller version this spring?

Anonymous said...

Hi Bonnie,

Just wanted to let you know that I received the DVD and will be watching it soon. Thank you for sending it, and also including the cards inside. I'm going to try to get some like that. Thanks again.

Elizabeth Channel said...

Hey! Just tagged you for a "Random Meme!" Please don't feel like you have to do it--just participate if you feel like it and have time! Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for putting these all together. I love lists!

Deanna said...

WOW....what a great post.... So much information and places to get more.

Thank you for taking the time for stoping by my blog :)

Donna Cooper said...

Giving away a free AUTISM AWARENESS T-Shirt on my blog. Would love you to come enter!
www.HIsGraceAmazesMe.blogspot.com.

Donna

Frogs' mom said...

Wow Bonnie, this is a great post! I'm going to have to bookmark it for other parents who are new to the subject - this is really one stop shopping :0)

I was really impressed with Dr. Greenspan's on line training this spring. We've been using Floortime for years, but to get it spelled out in so much detail was really helpful and changed some of what we were doing. Rosemary is a jewel and has been one of our lifelines during this whole autism adventure.

Anonymous said...

Hi there! I'm giving away 5 books in the name of SPD awareness. Come and see if it's something you might be interested in winning. :)

Anonymous said...

Hey, thanks for visiting my blog. I hope it helped. I wanted to let you know that I replied to your comment here: http://www.thetowells.com/2008/10/get-motivated-with-a-budget/#comment-65

Great job on your blog.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I guess it didn't want me to copy that link. Anyway, it's back at http://www.thetowells.com on the post you commented on: Get Motivated with a Budget.

Anonymous said...

Wow, what an excellent compellation of useful resources. Thanks for putting this together!

Anonymous said...

What incredible resources. Thanks for all the work you do keeping people informed!

Unknown said...

Sensory Integration Strategies are an ongoing process in our family. Thank you for sharing this information.....always up for various ideas!

S~

a Tonggu Momma said...

I just wanted you to know that I keep coming back to this list, even months later. It's been a great resource for me.

 
Clicky Web Analytics